Date: 1/6/18 6:51 pm
From: Zack Mikalonis <z.mikalon...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Glaucous gulls continue, dead jaeger/skua -Gazos
Just before sundown I checked the flock at Gazos Creekmouth and saw two
GLAUCOUS GULLS. Based off my photos and the ones Alvaro posted a few days
ago, they appear to be the same two individuals.

I was there yesterday afternoon in the rain when the flock was well over a
thousand, and there was one glaucous detectable. I also scanned the very
large flock at Waddell yesterday in the rain, finding no rarities.

While at Gazos yesterday I found a deomposing, dead jaeger/skua but didn't
spend too long checking it out and didn't have any way to take a picture.
Today I refound it and spent more time. It is not a tubenose. It is all
dark except for striking white bases to the primaries AND secondaries. Can
dark-morph parasitic or pomarine have white extending into the secondaries?
I have seen this feature on the outerwing in photos of South Polar Skuas. I
don't have as much experience with jaegers as I would like, and have never
tried to ID a dead one, any opinions are welcome, and I am happy to email
anyone the photos

Cheers,
Zack Mikalonis

Join us on Facebook!