Date: 1/6/18 5:03 pm
Subject: Forysth Co., NC-Salem Lake-01/06/18
Along with many other intrepid birders, I spent a cold afternoon out at
Salem Lake here in Winston-Salem. Maybe 75% of the lake is frozen over,
Luckily for us birders the majority of the open water is within 200 yards
of the fishing pier. Highlights were 4 Canvasbacks, 13 Redheads, 15
Gadwall, 14 Am. Black Ducks, 3 Long-tailed Ducks, 5 Common Mergansers, 1
Red-breasted Merganser, 1 Horned Grebe, and many Ring-necked Ducks, Hooded
Mergs, Bufflehead, and Ruddy Ducks. From what I heard the roster here
changes every day so I plan on going back tomorrow. Good birding.

200 Canada Goose
1 Muscovy Duck (Domestic type)
2 Wood Duck
15 Gadwall
300 Mallard
15 American Black Duck
2 Northern Pintail
4 Canvasback
13 Redhead
25 Ring-necked Duck
1 Lesser Scaup
3 Long-tailed Duck -- Same ones seen earlier in pm by me.
75 Bufflehead
250 Hooded Merganser
5 Common Merganser -- Same ones seen earlier in afternoon
1 Red-breasted Merganser
40 Ruddy Duck
50 Pied-billed Grebe
1 Horned Grebe