Date: 1/6/18 4:46 pm
From: Gordon Karre <karhop1...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] CEAZ: Seven Springs near Phoenix
This morning, Barb Meding, Jeanne Burns, and I, headed to the Seven Springs area north of Carefree in Maricopa County and we had a really good day of birding. First stop was on the road to Humbolt peak to search for GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS. Had a minimum of 4, (might have been more) and they gave us excellent views. Also had 7 other species of Sparrows, BLACK-CHINNED, BLACK-THROATED, BREWER'S, VESPER, SAVANNAH, RUFOUS-CROWNED, and a lot of WHITE-CROWNEDs. Plenty of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS, but unfortunately, no Eastern Bluebird.

We then traveled to the Seven Springs Campground, where we had 6 CASSIN'S FINCHES feeding on Juniper berries along with large numbers of AMERICAN ROBINS, JUNIPER TITMOUSE, and CEDAR WAXWINGS. The biggest surprise at this location was a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL giving its single toot call. Also found 2 MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES at Ashdale.

On the return, we stopped at Upper Camp Creek near the cabins and found a nice stream of water flowing. Our targets in this location was GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET and LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH which were both recently reported there on a recent CBC. The GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET was the first to be seen and while searching for the Waterthrush, I spied a PACIFIC WREN down near the stream. Shortly after that, we also got good views of the LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH.

Want to thank Barb and Jeanne for a great day of birding with some wonderful birds.

Great birding to all!
Gordon Karre
Mesa, AZ

To view my latest blog post click on the link below.
Desert Wings blog site: http://desertwing.blogspot.com/