Date: 1/6/18 4:44 pm
From: Sharon Goldwater <azfiddle...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SE AZ: Santa Cruz Flats
Chuck Williamson and I cycled around the Santa Cruz Flats today (Saturday). We had 49 species.

Highlights included a flooded field east of Sunshine Rd., north of Harmon Road, with two Snow Geese, 6 Greater Yellowlegs, at least 5 Least Sandpipers, Killdeer, a lot of blackbirds and pipits and a Prairie Falcon.

A Sage Thrasher at the corner of Harmon and Sunshine perched on a mailbox and then foraged in an adjacent alfalfa field.

We also had a flock of 6-8 Sagebrush Sparrows and a Bendire’s Thrasher in sparse scrub on Harmon.

At least 40 Mountain Plover were in a field located south of Hotts Road and east of Curry (I believe this is the northwest part of the sod farm). They were with many pipits and killdeer.

We had a Peregrine on Sunshine on our way back and another Thrasher that looked like a Bendire’s as well.

Sharon Goldwasser
Tucson
Sent from my iPhone