Date: 1/6/18 3:41 pm
From: 'Greg D. Jackson' <g_d_jackson...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Guntersville this AM (6 Jan)
ALBirders:

I spent a few hours at Guntersville this morning, hoping the miserable
conditions to the north had pushed down some birds. Indeed it seems so,
and I could tell immediately on arrival the area is chock full of
waterfowl and gulls.  Ducks were present in good numbers and variety,
and snowstorms of wheeling gulls were present in some areas.  Portions
of Spring Creek, and Brown's Creek well south of the AL 69 causeway,
were the best spots today.  Oddly loon numbers seemed to have dropped,
and the causeway area extending north was much less productive today
than normal.

The only unusual gull (and a regular bird at this site) was an adult
LESSER BLACK-BACKED standing on the ice south of the US 431 crossing of
Spring Creek.  At the old Harbor House site, I took a couple of hundred
photos of what is probably just an interesting adult Herring Gull, but
fun to study nonetheless.  I searched through masses of ducks this
morning, and just before I had to leave (and on a second visit to this
site), I happened upon two fun birds.  First was an immature male
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, and soon thereafter a female LONG-TAILED DUCK
appeared; both were in a large gathering of ducks, gulls, and others in
Spring Creek on the north side of AL 227.  (Please heed the "No
Trespassing" signs there and view as safely as possible from near the
road/railroad.)

Despite the continued chill, it was a really fun morning seeing such an
abundance of birds!

Greg

Greg D. Jackson

Birmingham, AL

Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community. AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group. Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the Yahoo Groups list service.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)