Date: 1/6/18 3:21 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Preston, Taylor, Monongalia Counties: Cormorants, Mergansers, Snow Geese, Yellow-rumps
I found 9 first-of-year species today in a long day in the aforementioned
counties:

Turkey Vulture--10 at the roost along Pixler Hill Road in Monongalia
County. Also 15 Black Vultures, and 20 unidentifiable birds

Red-tailed Hawk--2 sitting side-by-side on the same branch along Zinn
Chapel Road near the sharp bend in Preston County.

Black-capped Chickadee--1 along Arthur Road at Fairfax-Rehe Wildlife
Management Area in Preston County
Eastern Bluebird--8 at same location
Yellow-rumped Warbler--2 at same location
Field Sparrow--1 at same location

Pileated Woodpecker--1 along Route 50 in Taylor County just west of Eby Road

Common Raven--1 in Taylor County along entrance road to Tygart Lake Marina,
which is barricaded off due to construction. The lake was totally frozen.

Double-crested Cormorant--2 in Taylor County at Grafton City Park just
below Tygart Dam

American Kestrel--1 at the Route 50 entrance to Pruntytown State Farm in
Taylor County

Other sightings of note:

Eastern Bluebird--10 along Stony Run Road in Preston County
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker--1 along Tygart Lake State Park entrance road in
Taylor County
Common Merganser--58 along the Tygart Valley River from Tygart Dam to Route
50 in Taylor County
Hooded Merganser--20 along same stretch of river
Common Goldeneye--6 in that river along Riverside Road

The 2 Snow Geese were present at Mountainview Elementary School in
Morgantown as I returned home with 228 Canada Geese. This flock seems to
rotate among this location, Dalton Farms, the Kennedy Correctional
Institution along Greenbag Road, and the Monongahela River. With school
resuming next week, I expect the geese will no longer visit the school when
children are present.

Terry

--
Terry Bronson