Date: 1/6/18 2:19 pm
From: Bob Reiling <rreiling2...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] American Bittern & Ruff
All,

I spent from 7:30 to 9:30 this morning (1/6) walking several blocks, both sides of Main Street in Los Altos and failed to re-find the Evening Grosbeak :-( Some birds seen included PURPLE FINCH, HOUSE FINCH, CEDAR WAXWINGS, a NUTTALL'S WOODPECKER, DARK-EYED JUNCO and lots of YELLOW-RUMP WARBLERS. I then went to Palo Alto Baylands where just before 10 AM Mike Mammoser and I saw the AMERICAN BITTERN flush from the reeds near us in Coast Casey Forebay and fly west almost to the open water near the Pump House. Someone later misidentified a juvenile BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON in the creek inlet as the Bittern. I then dipped on the Greater White-fronted Goose. At about 11:40 I ran into Bill Pelleteirs class at New Chicago Marsh where one of his birders re-found the adult female RUFF they had just seem that was working a narrow bit of land just left of a white pipe located northeast of the Environmental Education Center parking lot located near the Center entrance gate.

Take care,

Bob Reiling

Join us on Facebook!