Date: 1/6/18 1:52 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lake County:Snowy Owl, Long Tailed Duck, Glaucous & Great Black Backed Gulls Sat 1-6-18
Hello Bird People,

Another cold start to the day with the temp at 2 degrees at 8 a.m. at
Waukegan Beach. Out in the cold with me today were Bob Erickson & Jeff
Bilsky. Bob already had the Waukegan SNOWY OWL picked out for the rest
of us when we drove up. The Owl was on the buildings well west of the
non resident parking lot. It's the same dark young one that has been
around since December. The harbor was frozen but the channel had a
little open water & in it were Goldeneye (1) & Red Breasted Mergansers
(4). About 100 Gulls were on the ice by the yacht club building but
they all appeared to be Ring Billed & Herring. The only land birds in
the park were Juncos.

North Point Marina

All waterfowl & gulls were in the north (commercial) harbor where
there's a mix of open water & ice which is the best combination for
ducks & gulls together. On arrival there were over 400 Canada Geese
but most left to feed elsewhere. Ducks included Redhead (3-M & 2-F),
Greater Scaup (1-F),
LONG TAILED DUCK (1-F), Goldeneye (6) & both Common & Red Breasted
Mergansers. There were about 200 Gulls on the ice & all but 2 were
Herring Gulls with the other 2 being Ring Billed. Highlight in the
Gull Dept was when a young GREAT BLACK BACKED GULL flew in & bullied
the Herring Gulls as it was so much larger than they were. This one
was not the same one as was at Waukegan when the Phalarope was there
as the mantle was darker although it still had the massive black bill
& the white head.

Visits to both the north & south units of Illinois Beach State Park
found nothing new & nothing of interest.

Lake County Fairgrounds off Midlothian

About 200 Herring & a few Ring Billed Gulls on the parking lot & just
east of the lot but I could see 100's more flying over the dump to the
west. Waited about 30 min & the gulls started to land in both the lot
& the fields to the east of Midlothian. Hard to see everything when
about 600 gulls are so tightly packed together but my 1 highlight was
a very large & very white 1st/2nd year GLAUCOUS GULL.
More gulls were still arriving when I left at 1 p.m. so perhaps more
gull species may have arrived.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the continuing Snowy Owl &
Runners-Up to the L,T. Duck, the Great Black Backed Gull & the Glaucous Gull.

Al Stokie
Still feeling cold in Lake County today but awaiting next week's
predicted warm up

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional