Date: 1/6/18 12:48 pm
From: Kirk Swenson <khswenson...> [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CVBirds] Yolo Northern Waterthrush
The Northern Waterthrush found by Keith Bailey, Jason Riggio, Nick Dorian,
and Eric LoPresti and independently by Chris Dunford was refound this
morning. It was first seen ~8:40 at the location where the bird was
originally found below the bridge on Canyon Creek Resort property (seen
from Solano County side). I picked up an LBJ flying upstream along the Yolo
side of the creek which landed in the shaded area underneath a bush at the
edge of the creek ~10 yards upstream of where KB, JR, ND, and EL originally
found it. I saw it for 5-10 sec as it foraged under the shrub and briefly
perched on a rock before it disappeared. When I couldn't relocate it I
headed back upstream toward the bridge, where I refound the bird foraging
on the Yolo County side just upstream of the bridge ~9:10. I was able to
snap some photos before it flew across the creek to the Solano County side,
which allowed me to take some more photos.

Good Birding!
Kirk Swenson
Davis, CA

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 11:42 AM Jason Riggio <jriggio...>
[central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...> wrote:

> Happy New Year Birders!
>
> On an early year trip up Putah Creek canyon we dipped on Dipper and
> Pileated, but Keith Bailey and I did manage to turn up a Northern
> Waterthrush poking around downstream of the 128 bridge and the small island
> on the Yolo side below the RVs. The linked eBird checklist has a photo
> (more to come - thanks to Nick Dorian’s quick camera work!) and a Google
> Maps screenshot of pin marking the exact location of the find. We lost the
> bird moving downstream, but had to get back to Davis so couldn’t spend much
> extra time trying to refind it.
>
> http://ebird..org/ebird/view/checklist/S41619212
> <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41619212>
>
> Jason Riggio