Date: 1/6/18 12:42 pm
Subject: Slow Down While Driving the Parks
All,

Slightly off topic maybe but please spare me or hit delete now.
While driving around Rolling View in Durham County today I had countless numbers of Pine Warblers on the paved surface in the park no doubt trying to get warm. They would fly ahead, and land right back in front of the truck. I literally chose to get out, walk ahead and have my birding partner drive past the two flocks we came across. And unfortunately I saw two casualties along the way from earlier vehicles.
Our bird friends are having a hard enough time with this cold snap, so let’s all pay attention, slow down, and give them a fighting chance anyway.
We had Common Mergansers at Lake Crabtree and Falls Lake, as well as the Mute Swans. I don’t know what the over and under is on the Hooded Mergansers but I bet we saw 1000 today.

Brian Pendergraft
In the backyard by the fire
Falls Lake N.C.

Sent from my iPhone