Date: 1/6/18 12:21 pm
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Lucky/Unlucky strike
Late afternoon I saw the striped tail feathers of a raptor pressed
against the bottom of the window.  Hadn't heard a strike so he must have
tried to get one of the little birds escaping into the bushy leftover
Christmas tree leaning against the L shaped spot provided by the chimney
and house.  The hopper feeder is close by.  Looking out the other window
I saw the Sharpie standing on the ground with empty talons.  He may have
had to roost without his supper while some lucky small bird lived
another day.

Finally had the male Sapsucker back on the suet this morning.  An hour
ago he  was on the pedestal bath with three male Bluebirds opposite
him.  Gorgeous!  Of all the times to be on the phone, on hold no less,
so I didn't get a photo

On Thursday two Waxwings came for a drink.  Always a special treat to
see them.

The little Downy with the broken bill was here several times yesterday
and this morning as well.  She's a tough little gal.

Because of the cold the live mealworms I put out don't stay soft very
long.  The Bluebirds pick them up in the middle but then maneuver them
around so they go down the hatch lengthwise.  I've been trying to see
how they do this but it happens too quickly. Looks like they might use
their tongue.

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town, WV

Join us on Facebook!