Date: 1/6/18 12:23 pm
From: Greg Massey <gmassey001...>
Subject: Re: Woodcock moving to the coast during winter storms
During the ice and snow storm in the 1/30/2014 period, over 200 Woodcock were reported at Oak Island, NC. This was documented by numerous observers and I personally saw over 25 birds in one hour on 1/31/2014, along with other birders. Jamie Adams reported 50 on his 2/01/2014 eBird report. Most of the state was covered with snow, and these birds were pushed to their limits. They were in yards, concrete driveways, ditches, almost anywhere.

Greg Massey
Leland,NC 28451

Typo - 1892 not 1893.

On Saturday, January 6, 2018, Nate Dias <offshorebirder...> wrote:

> Exactly Guy. Woodcock move to the coast en masse during certain snow and
> ice storms, showing up in very unusual environs.
>
> This has been documented and published about since Arthur T. Wayne's day
> and before.
>
> Here is one of Wayne's notes on the subject describing thousands of
> Woodcock falling out in Mt. Pleasant, SC following a snow/ice/sleet storm
> in late December 1893:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sora.unm.edu_sites_default_files_journals_auk_&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=uK5ljFBmGobFvcU7yAPG5vrXjcPKsYxsbQPpsrDcM_c&s=vkfkJtfXAeTnez34Aj4PxWyKzsNlkdG8qmmHcGqITKQ&e=
> v010n02/p0204-p0204.pdf
>
> sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v010n02/p0204-p0204.pdf
>

> Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC
>
> On Saturday, January 6, 2018, <badgerboy...> wrote:
>
>> I thought I read on this list a couple years ago about massive woodcock
>> movements to the coast in cold snaps. My recollection is that people had
>> reported large numbers of them and they thought the birds were NOT normal
>> locally overwintering birds but rather that the sudden cold had pushed much
>> higher numbers than normal into the coastal areas. Could have been a faulty
>> memory though--anyone else remember this?
>>
>> Thanks, Guy McGrane, Deep Gap, NC
>>

>> On 1/4/2018 9:58 PM, Steve Ritt (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
>>
>>> First, a reminder that it's unethical, not to mention even illegal under
>>> the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, to capture and/or harass any raptor or any
>>> other native bird, regardless of the status of domestic livestock.
>>>
>>> I also had an American Woodcock as a yard bird tonight in Harbinger, NC.
>>> A Baltimore Oriole was just down the street. The Albermarle Sound was way
>>> more active than usual today, although nothing was regionally unusual. Most
>>> entertaining were Wilson's Snipe, Greater Yellowlegs, Dunlin, Killdeer,
>>> American Pipit, and Song Sparrows all foraging together on ice balls and a
>>> very tiny, sandy beach patch in the backyard.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else had frozen hummingbird casualties this week? One (RTHU)
>>> was hanging upside down on my feeder the morning of New Years Eve that I
>>> thought was in torpor, but it fell off two days later and did not wake up.
>>>
>>> Steve Ritt
>>> Harbinger, NC / San Diego, CA
>>> (...hoping my next yard bird will be a Nazca Booby tomorrow.)

Join us on Facebook!