Date: 1/6/18 11:41 am
From: Lisa Myers <lisa...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Coyote Valley Vermillion Flycatcher still there
Hi all -

We had quite a large group of birder’s join this morning’s Los Gatos Birdwatcher bird walk in Coyote Valley. The location had been planned for month’s, so it was just a coincidence that we were to be there at the same time the Vermillion Flycatcher was in town.
We started at the Coyote Valley Open Space and found all the species one would expect to see this time of year. WESTERN MEADOWLARKS, LOGGERHEAD SHRIKES, RED-SHOULDER HAWKS, RED-TAIL HAWKS, WHITE-TAIL KITES and AMERICAN KESTRELS, plus NORTHERN HARRIER. No eagles this morning.

The field to one’s right as you enter the open space had a big concentration of KILLDEER. I did not count, but I’d say at least 70.

We then drove to the Palm and Dougherty corner and found the VERMILLION FLYCATCHER bugging along the fence line that surrounds the field located on the south/west corner. We were there at 10:00 AM. This was the same spot others had reported. At times is sat with WESTERN BLUEBIRDS and the color combination made for quite a memorable sight! While this was a county bird for some, it was a life bird for many of the folks in my group.

Happy New Year.

Lisa Myers
Los Gatos Birdwatcher/Let’s Go Birding

<*> Your email settings: