Date: 1/6/18 11:15 am
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: Re: "OBX": MBTA, Woodcock, frozen hummer - 1/4/18
I wonder from what sized area the woodcock invasion into the South Carolina
coastal area in 1899 originated.

That invasion is described by Arthur Wayne in Bent's Life Histories.. It
occurred in February 1899, toward the end of the "Great Arctic Outbreak of
1899". .

"The woodcock arrived in countless thousands. Prior to their arrival I had
seen but two birds the entire winter. They were everywhere and were
completely bewildered. Tens of thousands were killed by would-be sportsmen,
and thousands were frozen to death....One man killed 200 pairs in a few
hours..."

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC