Date: 1/6/18 10:08 am
Subject: Re: American Woodcock continues in our yard, James Is, SC
I'm sure they would have been in the Oriental area all winter, and just
moved into cleared areas to find food. Some birds can and do move south in
response to bad weather, most notably waterfowl, as we have seen from these
postings. Most of the birds that do move in response to cold weather are
diurnal migrants, or move around a lot during the day, such as some winter
finches, Am. Robins, Tree Swallows, hawks, gulls, and other seabirds, etc.
Most nocturnal migrants are stuck now where they came in the fall --
survive here or die here. Kinglets, warblers, wrens, etc., are in that
unfortunate category. It won't be a pretty picture for these birds, and
hummingbirds, starting a few days from now when many of us awake from
hibernation and get back out looking for landbirds starting Monday or
Tuesday.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 12:52 PM, sheryl mcnair <carolinabirds...>
wrote:

> Seems to be happening all over. We’ve had a number seen in the yards in
> Oriental, NC, I saw 1 off our driveway just outside Oriental & I know I’ve
> seen postings from others on CarolinaBirds. Does anyone know—are these
> birds here all the time, just forced out in the open to find food? Or did
> they somehow get caught up in Grayson?
>
> Sheryl
>
> On Jan 6, 2018, at 10:14 AM, Dennis Forsythe (via carolinabirds Mailing
> List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> We were thrilled to see the American Woodcock in our back yard a few
> minutes ago.
>
> Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis M. Forsythe PhD
> South Carolina Christmas Bird Count Editor
> South Carolina Ebutterfly Reviewer
> Emeritus Professor of Biology
> The Citadel
> 171 Moultrie St,
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__maps.google.com_-3Fq-3D171-2BMoultrie-2BSt-2C-2BCharleston-2C-2BSC-2B29409-2B843-26entry-3Dgmail-26source-3Dg&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=b1v0kyRCdk4duUdSdhv8PjUiVXvlWvvTKvKE8UNJkvE&s=7oYky-nTLhiy-zMptWUYDG6SWUODiNSlGvDb2PSPAJM&e= >
> Charleston, SC 29409
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__maps.google.com_-3Fq-3D171-2BMoultrie-2BSt-2C-2BCharleston-2C-2BSC-2B29409-2B843-26entry-3Dgmail-26source-3Dg&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=b1v0kyRCdk4duUdSdhv8PjUiVXvlWvvTKvKE8UNJkvE&s=7oYky-nTLhiy-zMptWUYDG6SWUODiNSlGvDb2PSPAJM&e= >
> 843.795.3996 <(843)%20795-3996>-home
> 843.953.7264 <(843)%20953-7264>-fax
> 843.708.1605 <(843)%20708-1605>-cell
> <dennis.forsythe...>