Date: 1/5/18 9:39 pm
From: Brooke Miller <idbirds...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Coyote Valley and Calero Reservoir - Friday, Jan 5, 2018
Hi Birders,

I started out mid-morning by returning to see the VERMILION FLYCATCHER at Palm and Dougherty Avenues. I watched and photographed it between 10:30 and 11:15 am.

On the west end of Laguna Avenue on the North side, on the ground, I found what I think is a juvenile dark morph FERRUGINOUS HAWK. I took many photos, it was at a distance, and it really did not move much, other than shaking itself out once. It appeared to have feathers all the way down its legs to its feet, although the feathering looked to be quite sparse. Photos are in my eBird list here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41665423

Over at Calero Reservoir the highlights were two adult BALD EAGLES perched in separate trees across the lake, and a single GOLDEN EAGLE (in the air). All the eagles required a scope to be seen. There were at least 180, if not more, COMMON MERGANSERS in a raft on the lake. It’s interesting how the group feeds: they seem to dive almost all at once, so that one minute you’re seeing maybe 10 birds, and then when they all come back up to the surface, there’s almost 200!

Good birding!
Brooke Miller
San Jose

<*> Your email settings: