Date: 1/5/18 8:58 pm
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] SF Herring runs and gulls
The first scattered herring spawns have been taking place across SF bay. There were rumors of it happening in SF by mission rock among fishermen so thought I’d put the word out and ask.
This morning out at Sutro Baths Brian Turner refound the rock wren and enjoyed it with Brian Fitch and Aron M. Out at sea I noted two Marbled Murrelets among at least 50 murres. Red-throated loons were in the hundreds. The ocean was quite active with gulls, murres and lions but the rocks were notably sparse with birds, with perhaps 50 roosting gulls and just a few corms.
We did not see the Glaucus Gull but did study a potential 3rd year “Nelson’s Gull”. (Hybrid glaucus x herring) A larger pink-legged Gull with an exceptionally pale back and minimal dark tips on the primaries. In the scope the bill was notably bicolored, pink at the base with a dark tip, however the demarcation on the bill was a bit smudgy.
Glaucus-wingedxherring hybrid is the other likely option and they have definitely been around this year.
Likely to be some good activity when this rain lets up, good birding!
Josiah

Sent from my iPhone

http://www.yahoogroups.com/

<*> Your email settings: