Date: 1/5/18 7:05 pm
From: Tyler M. Harms <tyharms...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Union Slough CBC/NC Iowa
Hi Birders,

Yesterday (January 4), 15 birders participated in the Union Slough CBC. It
was a beautiful winter morning in north central Iowa - the temperature was
a balmy 0 degrees with no wind and a gorgeous, light snow falling for most
of the day. We tallied 36 species, one short of the count high in recent
years. Highlights were a nearly complete raptor list including Northern
Harrier and Merlin, three icterid species (numerous Red-winged Blackbirds,
a Common Grackle, and a handful of meadowlarks), and a River Otter as a
nice CBC mammal. As always, many thanks to those who participated and to
the Refuge staff for their support and for the soup lunch.

Elsewhere in north central Iowa, I flushed a Short-eared Owl at Ottosen
Potholes on the Humboldt County CBC today and, on my return to central Iowa
this afternoon, observed a Northern Shrike near Boone Forks Wildlife Area
in Hamilton County.

Take care,

Tyler Harms
Ames, Story Co.