Date: 1/5/18 5:45 pm
Subject: Long-tailed Duck, Common Eider, White-winged Scoter, Charleston Harbor
On the way home from the Sea Islands CBC today, my brother Keith and I stopped at the Charleston Battery. I’ve lived here 28 years and have never seen this kind of activity in the harbor. Birds were active from the Battery all the way over to Pitt St. Causeway, birds, birds, birds. We saw 4 Long-tailed Ducks, one Common Eider, 2 White-winged Scoters, Red-breasted Merganser, Bufflehead, Greater and Lesser Scaup amongst hundreds and hundreds of gulls, ibis, and other seabirds. We were there just at dark so we could not get any photos, but the majority of the duck activity was from the Charleston Yacht Club Marina to the #5 green Channel marked, fairly close in, and we observed all of this on the Battery seawall from 9 East Bay St. We didn’t have time to scope all of the birds before dark, there could be more scoters, and with all the goldeneyes showing up, that’s a possibility, more grebe species, who knows, but we sure were not able to view and count all of the birds due to darkness. Here is our list from this evening.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ebird.org_ebird_view_checklist_S41658256&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=mJuOytJd4jWv2hjop-M6BwSlpU8-AvXeW5hhWswfhio&s=TtnzWilyV2YLN38aUi1ZJRAgbX5OEALPFRe3h1RXJwg&e=

Craig Watson
Mount Pleasant, SC

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avast.com_antivirus&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=mJuOytJd4jWv2hjop-M6BwSlpU8-AvXeW5hhWswfhio&s=15b8uFg1WRm96rNgIzgH0qdS5Y1bzI31rEOeqPBdJEs&e=

Join us on Facebook!