Date: 1/5/18 5:11 pm
From: Henry Armknecht <whatabirder...>
Subject: Re: Short-eared Owls north of Hays / 4 January
I went to this location this evening. Between the field Scott mentioned and the one SW across the road I had a total of at least 8 Short-eared Owls. The first one showed up at about 5:10. I stayed until about 5:50. At that time, only one owl was still visible. I don't know if they were on the ground feeding after a successful hunt, or had moved elsewhere.

I also saw three Black-billed Magpies at the same location just north of the Ellis County landfill in the same location where I saw 12 of them on Tuesday.

Thank you, Scott, for the heads-up on the owls.

Prior to this, I have seen exactly one Short-eared Owl in Ellis County.

Henry A
Hays