Date: 1/5/18 4:47 pm
From: Martin Meyers <Martin...>
Subject: Lesser Black-backed Gull at Sparks Marina today
An adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was sitting on the floats at the north
end around 11:00 a.m. Probably the same bird reported two days ago by
Meg (assuming hers was an adult). Another interesting sighting (or set
of sightings) was a pretty careful count of Pied-billed Grebes today. On
a complete circuit around the lake, I came up with 44 birds. This is
well above any previous total I've had there.

I also made a stop at Rock Park and walked a section of the Truckee
River (before some rain chased me back to the parking lot.) Just as I
got back to the parking lot, seven Barrow's Goldeneyes flew in and
landed right in front of me. Haven't had a chance to look at my photos
yet, but I think I got some pretty nice ones (although the light was
quite bad). Nothing else at Rock Park of significant interest.

Here's a complete list from Sparks Marina:

Canada Goose 60
Northern Shoveler 40
Gadwall 29
Mallard
Common Goldeneye 5
Common Merganser 7
Ruddy Duck 60
Pied-billed Grebe 44
Eared Grebe 2
Western Grebe 2
Rock Pigeon 200
Mourning Dove
American Coot 500
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Ring-billed Gull 25
California Gull 300
Herring Gull 8 Six adults, 1 third cycle, 1 first cycle
Lesser Black-backed Gull 1 Adult
Double-crested Cormorant 8
Black-crowned Night-Heron 5
European Starling 10
House Sparrow
House Finch
Brewer's Blackbird 20

Martin

Martin Meyers
email: Martin (...AT...) SierraBirdbum.com
Photo website: http://SierraBirdbum.com
Truckee, CA

Join us on Facebook!