Date: 1/5/18 3:55 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Brant & New Year continuings
I've been out every day of the new year so far, trying not to repeat my
pathetic totals from the first quarter of last year. The only species I've
found that I haven't seen mentioned so far on the lists was an ironic
highlight. Last year, Brant laid a big goose egg on my city year list for
the first time in over a decade, and yet who should pop up at the Sutro
Baths on 1/1/18 but a flock of approximately 15 heading northeast.

I saw the Cinnamon Teal on the 1st and 2nd, but not subsequently, and had
brief looks at the Swamp Sparrow on the 2nd. A Varied Thrush was at Buena
Vista park that day as well. The 1st-year Glaucous Gull was maneuvering
around North Rock off of Sutro yesterday, and appeared to land on the back
side around 8AM.

Today I toured all over town in the nearly constant drizzle, and found only
continuing birds; the Snow and White-fronted geese grazing at Crissey, the
Eurasian Wigeon pair at Pier 94, two drake Green-winged Teal and a Lesser
Scaup at Yosemite Slough, the White-tailed Kite at Candlestick, and the
Rock Wren at the Cliff House, kindly refound by Brian Turner. There was
also a Merlin and several Golden-crowned Kinglets in the trees behind Baker
Beach, and another Merlin near the East Wash.

And Red-breasted Nuthatches have been present in nearly every patch of
conifer trees I've visited, a wonderful return to the good old days.
Brian Fitch

Join us on Facebook!