Date: 1/5/18 3:49 pm
From: 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Common Mergansers, Long-tailed Ducks, etc.
I stopped at The Point, Town Creek Marsh and Wheeler Dam on my way home from work this afternoon. The Point was swarming with birds, as was Wheeler Dam. Highlights from The Point included 2 female Common Mergansers and 2 female Long-tailed Ducks (the latter are scattered all around Tennessee lately, possibly due to the freezing waters further north). I counted 263 Common Goldeneye. Gulls, cormorants and pelicans were in a feeding frenzy. Two Lesser Black-backed Gulls were easy to pick out.

Nothing spectacular at Town Creek Marsh. Lots of snipe and one Least Sandpiper. Several Pintails and 11 Snow Geese were nice.

Gulls, cormorants and pelicans were also in a frenzy about 1/2 mile below the dam. Lighting was poor and I couldn't pick out anything unusual. A huge flotilla of white extended for about a mile above the dam. Thousands of gulls already at roost. I may have to make time to return tomorrow morning when they return to feed.

Damien Simbeck
Killen AL

Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community. AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group. Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the Yahoo Groups list service.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)