Date: 1/5/18 2:03 pm
From: <maliadances...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] San Mateo county cumulative yearlist for December 2017
Dear San Mateo County Birders!
3 new birds are to be added to December’s report.
With these 3 birds, our end of year 2017 totals are 341. The highest end of year total since the 2009 inception of this cumulative yearlist. It was an incredible year!
As you read through the list of birds below, please note, the number in parenthesis next to the bird name is the rarity code assigned for San Mateo County. The definitions for the rarity codes can be found on the Sequoia Audubon website here http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/SMCbirds.php http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/SMCbirds.php
December birds and their finders are as follows:
Ron Thorn spotted a REDHEAD (4) on the bay. Donald Pendleton found a HARRIS’S SPARROW (5) along the public shoreline access trail at the Facebook Campus in Menlo Park. A photograph of a RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW (4) was submitted to eBird on a checklist from Windy Hill Open Space Preserve by Elisa Fernandes. Though there has not yet been a response to an inquiry about this bird, a very infrequently observed species in our county, we are hoping once the holidays are over and folks are back to a daily routine, a response will be forthcoming.
Thank you all for sharing your 2017 birds. January 2018 is off to a rocketing start with approximately 164 species noted within the first 24 hours and records for Jan 1 still coming in.
I put this report together monthly as a volunteer for Sequoia Audubon Society (SAS). San Mateo is a diverse and bird rich county and SAS hopes to inspire you to get out there and explore. Want to know where to bird in San Mateo County? Check out SAS’s online San Mateo County Birding Guide http://birding.sequoia-audubon.org/ http://birding.sequoia-audubon.org/ . Want to join a field trip? All field trips are free and welcome birders of all skill levels. For a schedule of upcoming field trips offered by SAS look here http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/fieldtrips.html http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/fieldtrips.html . Want to become a member of Sequoia Audubon Society? Join here http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/membership.html http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/membership.html
This report is compiled for the most part, using eBird checklists and from posts on Pen-bird so please post all your sightings to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/peninsula-birding/ and/or www.eBird.org http://www.ebird.org/. When posting to Pen-bird, please include the date of your sighting in either the subject line or in the body of your email. If you don’t use eBird or Pen-bird, you can always email me directly. Thank you!
If you have questions or comments regarding this report, please email:
<maliadances...>
Thank you!
Good birding all and here’s to an exciting 2018!
Malia DeFelice
Chris Hayward

Join us on Facebook!