Date: 1/5/18 2:03 pm
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: ASCA January & February Field Trips
The January field trip sponsored by the Audubon Society of Central Arkansas (ASCA) is scheduled for Saturday, January 27th.  Please see details below.  Information about the February 17th ASCA field trip is at the bottom of this email.  Anyone who willing to brave the cold to see some really cool birds is welcome to join us.  You don't have to be an ASCA member or an expert birder.  Dress warm and in layers for both trips, it can be quite chilly, especially on the lake and the Arkansas River.  If you would like more information, please feel free to contact me off-list.Karen HollidayASCA Field Trip CoordinatorLittle Rock
 January 27, 2018Lake Dardanelle-DelawarePark and Holla Bend National Wildlife Refuge (NWR)Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the Mayflower commuter lot off I-40West at Exit 135.  We’ll carpool to DelawarePark, located on the southwest side of Lake Dardanelle.  We should arrive at the Delaware Park boatramp around 8:45 a.m. for anyone who wants to meet us there.  We’ll scan the lake for gulls, pelicans, loons,mergansers, ducks, grebes, and eagles.  Arare gull or duck is a possibility.  Thelake can be very cold and windy.  Dressin layers, including gloves and hats.   Next, we’ll caravan to the Holla Bend NWR headquarters’parking lot.  There is a $4.00 entrancefee per vehicle.  A duck stamp or a NationalParks pass will get a vehicle in for free.  Our target birds will be raptors, including nestingBald Eagles, also swans, ducks, geese, and sparrows.  At Holla Bend, there will be some walking intall grass, so boots are recommended.  Bring snacks, lunch, and plenty of water.  We’ll return to Little Rock late afternoon.  Directions from the town of Dardanelle to DelawarePark:  At the junction of Hwy. 7 and Hwy.22, go west on Hwy 22 approximately 10 miles. Turn right onto Hwy. 393, which is the first road on your right after youcross the long causeway at the west end of the lake.  Hwy. 393 dead ends at Delaware Park.  GPS coordinates:  35.295749, -93.271458.  For more information about the Holla Bend NWR,go to http://www.fws.gov/hollabend/. The headquarters is located at 10448 HollaBend Road, Dardanelle, AR 72834.  GPScoordinates: 35.163222, -93.093477.  February 17, 2018Two Rivers Park, LittleRock AR Participate in the 2018 Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) byjoining ASCA’s February field trip.  Meetat 8:00 a.m. in the parking lot of the Two Rivers Park Bridge (also known asthe “Little” Dam Bridge) at the start of the walking trail located at 4468River Mountain Road at the southeast end of the Two Rivers Park peninsula.  We’ll scope the river from the parking lot andbridge, then walk the dirt and paved trails as far as people wish to go.  You can turn around at any point and headback to your vehicle.  After returning toour cars, we’ll drive to the west entrance of Two Rivers Park and walk the bigfield and horse trail.  Both areas have adiverse population of sparrows and provides a great opportunity to work onidentifying those “little brown birds”. Knee-high rubber boots are recommended because of the copious sandburrs.  Bring water, snacks, and yourscope if you have one.  We should finisharound noon.  If any rare loons are beingreported, birders can continue on to Lake Maumelle.  Loons, mergansers, ducks, and grebes areeasily found on the lake this time of year.  Ifyou can’t join the field trip, participate in the GBBC by counting the birds inyour own backyard and submitting your sightings to the GBBC website at www.birdcount.org. Directions-takeExit 9 west off I-430 onto Cantrell Rd. At the first stop light, turn right (north) onto River MountainRoad.  Go to the bottom of the hill thenbear right to the main parking lot.  GPScoordinates are 34.797458,-92.383017.

Join us on Facebook!