Date: 1/5/18 12:54 pm
Subject: Chuck-wills-Widow on snow and 4 woodcock Sneads Ferry ,NC
While doing a walk about on my 13 acres around 3 PM today I spotted what looked initially like a cluster of brown leaves on top of the snow (received nearly five inches in the storm and much is still on the ground). On closer inspection I saw a dark wide open eye staring back at me. As I reached for my binoculars it took flight and disappeared into an abandoned vineyard being replaced by about 40 year old Loblolly Pines. The exact site was near the edge of my driveway in a part of the vineyard that I abandoned 7 years ago. There are young yaupon and 3-4 foot high pines here. It was in a sunny spot and obviously survived a long period of cold weather. I’m guessing it may undergo periodic torpor to overwinter here. There are other coastal winter records for the Carolinas. Will Post summarized records in the Chat many years ago. On 22 February 1992 I salvaged a roadkill on HWY 210 on North Topsail Beach, NC.
I also flushed 4 woodcock.

Gilbert S. Grant
Sneads Ferry,NC

Sent from my iPhone