Date: 1/5/18 7:41 am
From: Doug Jenness <d_jenness...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ: Dudleyville CBC Tally
1/5/18

Thirty-five volunteers participated in the 18th Dudleyville CBC on 2 Jan, and a preliminary tabulation indicates 112 species were found, which is better than last year's count of 102, but below our average of 117. Our highest count was 136, the first year of the count; and a total of 192 species have been seen in the 18 years of the count. The total number of birds reported this year was 6,500 below our average of 8,500.

Highpoints were:

*
1 NORTHERN BEARDLESS TYRANNULET, the first for the count;
*
5 WHITE-THROATED SPARROWs, the highest number ever for the count and all seen together by one team;
*
1 RED CROSSBILL, the first since 2003;
*
1 GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, the first since 2011;
*
1 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER;
*
114 LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, the second highest count;
*
6 BROWN CREEPERS;
*
1 BARN SWALLOW, the second year in a row for this species;
*
1 count week RIVOLI'S HUMMINGBIRD, the second year we've had this species on count week.

One team that covered the Nature Conservancy tract along the San Pedro River found an astounding number of sparrows at an amaranth patch, including the White-throated and Lincoln's sparrows referred to above. They totaled 17 sparrow species numbering 1,281. This was nearly 50 % of the sparrows seen in the entire count circle.

I want to thank all those who participated and made this another productive and fun day in the field.

Doug Jenness,
Compiler Dudleyville CBC