Date: 1/5/18 6:47 am
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: Beaverfork Lake-Conway
Late Thursday afternoon I saw the post about the Trumpeter Swans at Beaverfork Lake.  Decided to leave work a little early and go find the swans.  Michael and Patty knew I was headed that way and called to tell me the swans had moved to a field just past the lake.  Got to the field about 4:30 p.m. and found eleven swans a'snoozing in the big field.  They really stood out against the bare, plowed field.  I appreciated the call because I would not have thought to look for them in the fields at Cadron Flats.  Michael said he's seen swans in those fields before, but never on the lake until yesterday.
I then went the Beaverfork to see what I could find before it got totally dark.  The lake was packed with birds and more kept coming in as it got later and later.  Found over 100 birds of each species of Hooded Mergansers, Buffleheads, Bonaparte Gulls, Scaup, and Gadwalls.  There were at least 1,000 Mallards, 300 Canada Geese (with 1 Cackling Goose), 25 Pied-billed Grebes, 12 Common Goldeneyes, a smattering of Ring-billed Gulls, a few DC Cormorants, and 3 Great Blue Herons.  I also spotted a very healthy looking Coyote hunting along the shoreline and flushing even more ducks from the reeds. More birds were further out, but it got so dark I could only see blobs. Since there was no ice on the lake and any water nearby was frozen, that may be why there were so many birds coming in to the spend the night.P.S.  A report this morning said the swans are not in the field.
Karen HollidayMaumelle/Little Rock

Join us on Facebook!