Date: 1/5/18 12:51 am
From: Philip C Stouffer <pstouffer...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Self Propelled Birding
Hi John and LABird,
I think that would be me. I wouldn't exactly call it a big year, but I was trying to do mostly local birding and self-propelled as much as possible. That amounted to LSU lakes, Pennington, Capitol Lakes, and along the levee, mostly. I ended up with 160-something species, but I'd say 180-something is easily possible from my house with more work on Ben Hur Road and Richfield Riversilt. 200 in a year would be a crazy self-propelled goal from my house. I ran out of steam by November, so there's plenty on the table. Of course Dan Lane had that many species by flight calls from his yard 1 mile away. Your 119 big day is pretty great- congratulations!
It stinks that LA is so bike unfriendly. It would be fantastic to be able to take a ride out to Frenchtown for Swainson's Warbler, but that's a death wish. Even so, a little more interest in green birding would be cool. I guess a start would be for folks to mention it in the comments of their eBird lists, as I do.
Good birding and yea bike!,
Phil Stouffer