Date: 1/4/18 10:46 pm
From: Garrett Lau <Garrett.Lau...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Continuing birds, 1/4/18
Today (1/4/18), I set out in search of six recently-reported birds. I
managed to find all of them, plus a few bonus birds.

The female EVENING GROSBEAK was in a bare pistache tree near the
intersection of State Street and 4th Street in Los Altos.

The male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE was in the SW corner of Shoreline Lake,
along with 27 COMMON GOLDENEYES and the male HOODED MERGANSER. While
at the lake, I saw a GOLDEN EAGLE flying in the distance. Then I drove
to the kite flying area. Shortly after I got out of the car, the
Golden Eagle flew fairly close to me.

At Almaden Lake, I found the male RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER in the trees
near the Arroyo Picnic area. I did not find the juvenile Snow Goose
that Kathy Parker reported earlier in the day. However, I did find a
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW.

At Guadalupe Oak Grove Park, I found the male PHAINOPEPLA in the tree
closest to the Vargas Gate. Mike Mammoser was also there, so I pointed
the bird out to him.

Five CHIPPING SPARROWS were at TJ Martin Park along Burchell Ave.
David Nickerson drove up while I was photographing them, but they flew
off before he got out of the car. He stayed to look for them while I
went on to Los Capitancillos Ponds.

At Los Capitancillos, shortly before sunset, a juvenile SNOW GOOSE was
among the Canada Geese in the first pond east of Meridian Ave.

I also saw RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS at both Almaden Lake and TJ Martin Park.

Photos from today are in this album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garrettlau/albums/72157664352353988

Garrett Lau

<*> Your email settings: