Date: 1/4/18 10:40 pm
Subject: Re: "OBX": MBTA, Woodcock, frozen hummer - 1/4/18
Steve

Here on Hatteras Island, our yard usually is a haven for more than 20
hummingbirds each winter. This year, numbers were down from previous
years before this storm hit.

I fear this latest storm, with the heavy 2” of rain, gale winds of steady
fifty knots all night Jan. 3, then 3” of snow .... was deadly for most of
them. I only saw 7 hummers yesterday, one had a huge gash and bloody
shoulder, and most were soaking wet in the morning and unable to dry during
the day even with the numerous heated feeder stations; three adult males
were in that mix, one young male and three females.
those that did make it through will have a very difficult time in these
next few days of freezing temps on top of what they just went through. So I
am sure when the snow is gone I will find some that perished near their
feeders.

Sad. How on earth those seven made it through Thursday night in those
conditions is a wonder.

Ann

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 9:58 PM Steve Ritt <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> First, a reminder that it's unethical, not to mention even illegal under
> the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, to capture and/or harass any raptor or any
> other native bird, regardless of the status of domestic livestock.
>
> I also had an American Woodcock as a yard bird tonight in Harbinger, NC. A
> Baltimore Oriole was just down the street. The Albermarle Sound was way
> more active than usual today, although nothing was regionally unusual. Most
> entertaining were Wilson's Snipe, Greater Yellowlegs, Dunlin, Killdeer,
> American Pipit, and Song Sparrows all foraging together on ice balls and a
> very tiny, sandy beach patch in the backyard.
>
> Has anyone else had frozen hummingbird casualties this week? One (RTHU)
> was hanging upside down on my feeder the morning of New Years Eve that I
> thought was in torpor, but it fell off two days later and did not wake up.
>

> Steve Ritt
> Harbinger, NC / San Diego, CA
> (...hoping my next yard bird will be a Nazca Booby tomorrow.)
>
> --
Ann Maddock <am.hummingbird.photos...> Hatteras Island, NC

Join us on Facebook!