Date: 1/4/18 10:24 pm
From: Scott Seltman <sselt...>
Subject: Short-eared Owls north of Hays / 4 January
On the way home from the Webster CBC, I found more than 10 Short-eared Owls
hunting in a wheat-stubble field along US 183 north of Hays in Ellis County.

The field is just to the NW of the intersection of US 183 and Hopewell Road
about 5 miles north of I-70.

The owls were putting on quite a show about 5:30 PM. I was hoping a Snowy
Owl would show up, but after a half hour of watching the SEOWs attacking
each other I gave up and continued homeward.

This is by far my best SEOW record of the winter, although I've seen a few
others recently in Pawnee, Rush, Barton, Stafford and Osborne counties.

Scott Seltman

Larned, Kansas

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to