Date: 1/4/18 9:38 pm
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Belated presidio CBC summery
We had good coverage with up to 10 teams at one point covering all corners of the area, which includes lone mountain and lots of small parks and bird rich streets. We had 113 species and low to average numbers for most species.
Impressive numbers included 20 Red-tailed and Red-shouldered hawks, over 500 Anna’s Hummingbirds and 600 Yellow-rumpled warblers. Double digits of hairy and nuttall’s Woodpeckers, bluebirds and over 20 RB nuthatches and Golden crowned Kinglets. 500+ white-crowned sparrows is about half of what we had last year.
Also of conservation note, 4 wrentits, 8 spotted towhees and 13 bewicks Wrens are positive signs of the massive coastal scrub habitat stewardship efforts in the Presidio. 5 Snowy Plovers were in the shorebird protection area, which appears to be getting eroded away with high water levels.
Hard to get birds included white-tailed-kite, Virginia rail, 18 Wilson’s snipe, American pipit, Tricolored Blackbirds and all the falcons..
Species we missed (but looked hard for) included sharp-shinned-hawk, turkey vulture, American Goldfinch, Savanah Sparrow, Marsh Wren, Varied Thrush, Nashville and hermit Warbler, scaup and Clark’s grebe.
Notably absent were the hundreds or thousand+ grebes that used to raft off of ft. Point and Baker beach. They may well have moved across the bay. Greater Scaup which were up into the 50’s for a time on Crissy have dwindled, with this year none. The large Willet flock is gone (just 2 this year) and rocky Shorebird Numbers were also down. Shorebird diversity in the lagoon was good, but several big shorebird species had just one individual..
Rare birds included 2 blue-grey gnatcatchers and a n saw-whet owl by Julius Khan found the day before and then heard the dawn of count day.
Thanks to the excellent team which included: Hugh Cotter, David Whimpheimer, Patti Hoyt, Ivan Samuels, Sam Effron, Mike Coroza, Anna and John, Jason Liy, Felix Rigau and Andrew McGann.

Sent from my iPhone

http://www.yahoogroups.com/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional