Date: 1/4/18 8:24 pm
From: Leonie Batkin <leonie.batkin23...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Nob Hill Pond-Redwood Shores
This first week of the 2018 year I have been checking the Nob Hill Pond regularly to see what is up with the waterfowl and other bird activity. Now that the Radio Road ponds are lost it is a place to check near our home. As reported by others there were American White Pelicans there on Monday (January 1), but not the last three days. Yesterday (January 3) I saw a Eurasian Wigeon, at around 4:30pm, but not that or this morning (January 4). This morning around 9am I saw a male Blue-winged Teal, this brought back memories of the Blue-winged Teals at Radio Road. The owner of the Nob Hill pond has removed a considerable amount of understory around the perimeter of the pond, which will seriously impact migrant passerines. (Like the understory they have removed at Holbrook Palmer Park in Atherton which has impacted the California Thrashers, they are there in much smaller numbers now.) Working on a new year list is always a fun endeavor, seeing birds as if new all over again.

Happy birding in 2018-near and far,
Leonie Batkin

Join us on Facebook!