Date: 1/4/18 7:42 pm
From: Rich Ferrick <richferrick...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Continuing Harris's / Ross's
Hello Pen-Birders

Today (1/4, 9:10AM), the Harris's Sparrow continued along at public access trail behind Facebook near the soccer field and boardwalk observation area.

Also, the Ross's Goose (my ID conclusion at this point) continued in the fenced off field in front of the Stanford Rowing Facility in Seaport Center (12PM). The base of the bill is nearly straight/vertical, bright white overall, no real grin patch (albeit maybe not a perfectly flush line, maybe a small gap) and the bird is much smaller than nearby Canada Geese. The head may not be quite as rounded as depicted in Sibley (but depends on posture) and it may not appear as "small" billed as depicted but it looks good for Ross's to me...comments welcome.

Lastly, a male and female Barrow's Goldeneye were in the channel that separates Seaport Center from back of the Bair Island parking area / development (12:20PM)

Pictures of Harris's, Ross's and male Barrow's will be on eventual e-bird checklists.

Rich Ferrick

Menlo Park

Join us on Facebook!