Date: 1/4/18 6:58 pm
Subject: "OBX": MBTA, Woodcock, frozen hummer - 1/4/18
First, a reminder that it's unethical, not to mention even illegal under
the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, to capture and/or harass any raptor or any
other native bird, regardless of the status of domestic livestock.

I also had an American Woodcock as a yard bird tonight in Harbinger, NC. A
Baltimore Oriole was just down the street. The Albermarle Sound was way
more active than usual today, although nothing was regionally unusual. Most
entertaining were Wilson's Snipe, Greater Yellowlegs, Dunlin, Killdeer,
American Pipit, and Song Sparrows all foraging together on ice balls and a
very tiny, sandy beach patch in the backyard.

Has anyone else had frozen hummingbird casualties this week? One (RTHU) was
hanging upside down on my feeder the morning of New Years Eve that I
thought was in torpor, but it fell off two days later and did not wake up.

Steve Ritt
Harbinger, NC / San Diego, CA
(...hoping my next yard bird will be a Nazca Booby tomorrow.)

Join us on Facebook!