Date: 1/4/18 6:54 pm
From: jeff bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Short-eared Owl fly-by San Joaquin - 4 Jan

This evening I had a Short-eared Owl that flew by the Audubon house around 5:25pm as I was walking back to my car from Pond 1. It came in from what seemed to be the Pond E area then dropped down through the paved parking lot and through the trees out to the creek. I ran out to the main road to see if I could relocate it circling or hunting but was unsuccessful. I had a really good side profile look through my bins and could easily see the rounded head and light colored facial discs really well.

Other things of note were Sora, Virginia Rail and Least Bittern all calling around Pond 1 at dusk.

Jeff Bray

Irvine, CA

Join us on Facebook!