Date: 1/4/18 6:16 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <polskatata...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Wintering Tricolored Blackbirds/Yosemite Slough . 1/4/18
This morning, before heading into work, i was able to track down what remains of the wintering TRICOLORED BLACKBIRD flock (a candidate for listing by California Fish & Wildlife.)

After driving around Saint Ignatius Prep and the adjacent West Sunset Playground/Ballfields a couple of times, I tracked the flock (15m , 3f) to the lawn area between the Ortega Branch library and AP Giannini Middle School. The "Trikes" were associating with (25~) Brewer's Blackbirds.

It's interesting to me that the only sizeable Tricolored Blackbird flock within the City and County of San Francisco and the SF CBC count circle is choosing to winter in an area centered on several NATURAL TURF soccer and baseball fields edged by several community gardens. On count day the only Tricolored Blackbirds noted were at Crissy Field (not sure of exact number, Josiah/Siobhan?)

On lunch break from work, midday, I made a quick visit to Yosemite Slough/Candlestick
State Rec area for the 7.6' high tide around 13:00. Some notable counts of ducks/shorebirds here included:

American Wigeon - 70
Green-winged Teal - m,f on island
Greater Scaup - 38, an additional 175+ distant scaup too far to ID with certainty but in winters past, 99%+ have been Greater
Ruddy duck - 220
Common Goldeneye - 1
Black-necked Stilt - 17
American Avocet - 16
Black-bellied Plover - 30
Black Turnstone - 3
Dunlin - 270, almost all on the boom separating the contaminated waters of Hunter's Point from the rest of SF Bay
Greater Yellowlegs - 6

The smaller of the two "ephemeral" freshwater ponds in the clean up area east of the cyclone fence (where a Baird's Sandpiper first appeared last August) has been filled in. The larger pond (which hosted a Pectoral for a few days) across the fence from the community garden has elevated water levels and no shorebird habitat at this time.

I scoped through the gulls on the boom and basin and of those close enough to ID, (~300) were California. A handful of Western, a single 1c Herring and a Forster's Tern made up the balance.

DominikMosur
San Francisco

Sent from my iPhone

http://www.yahoogroups.com/