Date: 1/4/18 5:50 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Ft. Stevens Battery Russel Crossbills,
Unfortunately they were the Red Crossbill
race which I have named the '*Wrong* Crossbill'
I've thought about proposing it for full species recognition
but unfortunately was not able to record the calls in
all the wind noise. I'm sure the calls would have been distinctive.

There were about 20 in the flock and in spite of much searching yesterday,
no other crossbills were found. These were feeding on Shore Pine
cones, as the formerly abundant Sitka Spruce seeds appear to have
been entirely dropped by now

But, the wind/waves/tides were truly spectacular. Helped out, no doubt,
by the 'Supermoon' whose rising was equally spectacular on the drive home.

Bob OBrien

Join us on Facebook!