Date: 1/4/18 5:35 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [birding] Northern Pygmy-Owl in flatlands near Luckiamute State Natural Area
Lars,

Thanks as always for your sharp recollection of historical sightings,
and for cross-posting this to OBOL (or should I call it the Oregon
Iiwi-Fanciers List, based on today's main thread? ;-).

I neglected to mention a third Northern Pygmy-Owl that my son Wil found
as roadkill on the east shoulder of Hwy 99W, while he was walking home
from the bus stop in Adair Village a couple of years ago.

Clearly these birds sometimes wander out onto the valley floor, and the
expansion of conifer forests as you note makes this less of a stretch.
But still it seems to be infrequent, and I just haven't encountered many
examples since we moved to this area in 1998. Noting that your examples
from the Corvallis are about 50 years in the past, the idea that this is
rare seems to hold up.

Cheers,
Joel