Date: 1/4/18 4:29 pm
From: Brooke Miller <idbirds...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: REVISED! [SBB] Santa Clara County 2017 Cumulative Year List - December and Final Year Results
Hi all,

Steve Rottenborn has reminded me that we had a third new bird for the County in 2017, that being the Wood Thrush found by Mike Mammoser on June 1. I missed that bird in the previous email. However, the Wood Thrush was already included in the county number of 407.

Thank-you to everyone who actually reads these emails and looks at the data (and keeps me “honest”)! Please keep it up!

Thanks, Brooke

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 3:53 PM, Brooke Miller <idbirds...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...> wrote:
>

> Happy New Year South Bay Birders!
>

> During December I was forwarded 2 species to add to the cumulative list for 2017. These were:
>
> 8-Sep: Green-tailed Towhee (6) found at Anderson Dam near Morgan Hill by Steve Rottenborn. This bird was found in sensitive habitat, and therefore was not reported to the public at that time.
> 29-Nov: Lapland Longspur (6) found by Stephen Peterson and also seen by Bridget Sousa at Moffett Field in Mountain View. The airfield is not open to the public, therefore it was not reported to the public at that time..
>
> There were 2 new birds in December. They were:
>
> 22-Dec: Barrow’s Goldeneye (4) seen at Shoreline Lake in Mountain View, by both Frank Vanslager and David Zittin.
> 30-Dec: A male Vermilion Flycatcher (6) found in Coyote Valley, by Ryan Phillips and his team, during the Calero-Morgan Hill CBC. This is a new bird for Santa Clara County!
>
> The final cumulative list tallied a total of 294 species of birds in Santa Clara County for 2017 (8 birds above the average of 286). This is the largest number of species ever detected in the County for a single year! We added two new species to the county list in 2017 - Vermilion Flycatcher and White-eyed Vireo, which brings the total number of species found in the county to 407.. However, we lost Thayer’s Gull as a separate species (it is now considered a subspecies of Iceland Gull), so that reduces that total to 406.
>
> My monthly reports are made up of eBird sightings, postings on SBB, and direct emails. You can find all the monthly cumulative lists on the SCVAS website at:
> http://www.scvas.org/page.php?page_id=6612&name=Birding_Resources#lists <http://www.scvas.org/page.php?page_id=6612&name=Birding_Resources#lists>
>
> Please post all your sightings to <south-bay-birds...> <mailto:<south-bay-birds...> and/or www.eBird.org <http://www.ebird.org/> .
>
> Please contact me if you find errors or omissions, or have questions or comments.
>
> Brooke Miller

Join us on Facebook!