Date: 1/4/18 3:47 pm
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: another yard woodcock
I too had a woodcock in my yard this morning.

I flushed it right next to my front steps as I was taking a hummingbird
feeder out at 0645.

Certainly its presence was related to the weather--it was a wild night, with
heavy rain at midnight, transitioning to sleet going sideways (sustained
winds up to 35+mph), and finally to 1-2" of snow.

However, it was not a new yard bird. I remember having birds on at least
two separate occasions before--one I think was also in snow-covered
conditions, and the other, strangely, was in summer, believe it was August.

At least 3, maybe 4, Ruby-throateds in the yard today. Also 2 Baltimore
Orioles. A Ruby-crowned Kinglet has been feeding on peanut butter.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!