Date: 1/4/18 3:38 pm
From: DOUGLAS POMEROY <dpom...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Half Moon Bay Verde Road rarities
Hi, I went birding along Verde Road in Half Moon Bay today and saw some of the continuing rarities. The flock of 26 Aleutian Cackling Geese and 4 Ross's Geese were visible from Verde Road, looking west across Highway 1 in the agricultural fields west of Bob's Produce Stand. They were near the bluff, so not visible from the highway, but with a scope, you could see them from the higher vantage point of Verde Road. A juvenile Ferruginous Hawk was perched along Verde Road and gave me great views. At Verde Road Pond, the Common Gallinule was still present, but incredibly difficult to see through the waving tules.

Here is a complete eBird list with photos of the hawk.

Donna Pomeroy

El Granada

Join us on Facebook!