Date: 1/4/18 2:48 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Opinions on a sapsucker
I should have mentioned that the amount of black and white in the face pattern of this bird is too excessive for a pure Red-breasted (s. r. ruber). The extensive red on the head and breast, along with absence of a black throat frame effectively eliminates pure Red-naped.

Dave Irons

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 4, 2018, at 2:18 PM, Mike Patterson <celata...><mailto:<celata...>> wrote:

I was at Brownsmead today (Waterthrush is still present) and I happened
upon a sapsucker I initially took to be a Red-naped Sapsucker. Intial
looks at the photos through the in camera viewer clearly showed red in
the wrong places for a pure RNSA. I called it a Red-breasted and moved
on. Now that I'm back home and looking at it on a larger screen I'm
thinking I may have been half right in the first place.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=24226259%40N06&sort=date-taken-desc&text=1%2F4%2F2018&view_all=1

Is this a RN x RB Sapsucker? or a transitioning juvenile RBSA?

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!