Date: 1/4/18 2:44 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [birding] Northern Pygmy-Owl in flatlands near Luckiamute State Natural Area
*
Harry Nehls and Dave Fix got two Pygmy Owls at the Oak Grove Cemetary or such place
in the far eastern part of the Corvallis CBC circle(Tangent,Fayetteville) in 1979. I saw one
on the OSU campus one Saturday afternoon the winter of 1975/76. One at the tip of the
Zumwalt Penninsula on the Eugene CBC 2006 was a pleasant surprise. That part of Fern
Ridge Reservoir is continuous forest with the Coast Range these days so hardly surprising.
Lars
On Jan 4, 2018, at 12:56 PM, Joel Geier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I went over to Luckiamute SNA this morning with the idea to check the
> spot where I thought I might have heard American Tree Sparrow(s) on
> Sunday.
>
> I didn't find any rare sparrows, but on my way back I heard a very
> distant Northern Pygmy-Owl tooting, probably about half a mile away from
> where I was walking. It might have been up in the conifers on the bluff
> on the north side of the Luckiamute River confluence. It kept going for
> at least a couple of minutes, long enough for me to rule out the other
> main possibilities (Northern Saw-whet Owl which toots faster, Gray Jay
> imitating a pygmy-owl -- they can be pretty good at it but normally they
> throw in some more querulous notes -- or Townsend's Solitaire which has
> more of a piping quality).
>
> Normally when I've encountered Northern Pygmy-Owls in this area, they've
> been in the Coast Range or its foothills, and nearly always west of Hwy
> 99W. This is only the second time I can recall hearing one east of Hwy
> 99W in either Polk County or Benton County.
>
> Happy birding,
> Joel
>

> --
> Joel Geier