Date: 1/4/18 2:43 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Opinions on a sapsucker
Mike,

Looks like a pretty typical hybrid (RBSA X RNSA). By this date Red-breasted and Red-naped Sapsuckers should have completed their preformative molt and look mostly like adults. The red feathering bleeding into the white facial stripes is usually a good indicator of mixed parentage. The dark feathers can express both black and red pigments, but tracts of feathers that are typically white do not have red and black pigments.

Dave Irons

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 4, 2018, at 2:18 PM, Mike Patterson <celata...><mailto:<celata...>> wrote:

I was at Brownsmead today (Waterthrush is still present) and I happened
upon a sapsucker I initially took to be a Red-naped Sapsucker. Intial
looks at the photos through the in camera viewer clearly showed red in
the wrong places for a pure RNSA. I called it a Red-breasted and moved
on. Now that I'm back home and looking at it on a larger screen I'm
thinking I may have been half right in the first place.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=24226259%40N06&sort=date-taken-desc&text=1%2F4%2F2018&view_all=1

Is this a RN x RB Sapsucker? or a transitioning juvenile RBSA?

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!