Date: 1/4/18 12:29 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Good Sparrow Day At Crabtree Nature Center Thursday 1-4-18
Hello Bird People,

With the temps at about 6 at the start I spent one hour watching the
feeders from inside the nature center building & ended with another
hour walking the grounds. The main problem was the wind chill factor
which made it feel even colder than it was. All 3 feeder areas were
very active with the cold & snow but remember that on Fridays the
building is closed all day so any feeder watching will be done from
the outside on that day. I had 1 better than average species plus 6
species of Sparrows which is good for this cold Winter. Here's my day
list:

Crabtree Nature Center (9:30-11:30 a.m.)

Canada Goose (1 calling fly-by)
Red Tailed Hawk (1 in a tree by Phantom Prairie)
Mourning Dove (5-6)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (4-5)
Downy Woodpecker (4)
FLICKER (2, along the trail to Phantom Prairie)
(I may have heard 1 Blue Jay but I'm not positive as it was pretty far away.)
Chickadee (6)
White Breasted Nuthatch (5)
Cardinal (2-PR)
Tree Sparrow (12-14)
FOX SPARROW (1, near the building feeders)
Song Sparrow (1)
SWAMP SPARROW (2)
WHITE THROATED SPARROW (1)
(The Song & Swamp Sparrows were NOT by the feeders but near the grassy
field near the main lot)
Junco (8-10)
RED WINGED BLACKBIRD (1-F, continuing from December & eating seeds
under the feeders)
House Finch (6-8)
COMMON REDPOLL (1, eating seeds under the feeders with Tree Sparrows & Siskins)
PINE SISKIN (10-12)
Goldfinch (8-10)

That's 20 species for this place mainly thanks to all the feeders.
Bird-Of-The-Day the the single Common Redpoll as that species is not
usually seen here.
Runners-Up to the wintering female Red Winged Blackbird & the Fox Sparrow.

Al Stokie
Making the best of another cold day in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: