Date: 1/4/18 10:08 am
From: Kerry Ross <kgr.falco...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Harris's Hawk and Property Owners
Janice,
I had a very similar experience there on Monday with the difference being
the land owner almost hit me with his quadrunner as he raced up to me as I
was leaving my car to start looking for the bird. He was aggressive and
agitated and told me to not take "photos of his houses" (I had no camera)
and to leave. He also called the police and I waited around for them to
arrive. The police talked to us both and then left after explaining to the
land owner that I could be on the public street. This is might not be the
same guy because he had no concern for a bird just people near his
property.
I also talked with another neighbor who was curious about what was going
on with all the birders and they were very friendly. There are nice people
out there too.

Keers

Kerry Ross
Bay Park

On Jan 3, 2018 07:17, "Janice Nordenberg <jnordenb...>
[SanDiegoRegionBirding]" <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
wrote:

> Yesterday when I was looking for the Harris's Hawk along El Paso I met one
> of the major property owners along Montecito Way who pulled up in his
> truck. He was very friendly and interested in what I was looking for. He
> old me that he had approached and asked someone what they were looking at
> and that person was extremely rude, swore at him and said he had every
> right to be there. Some of us can guess who this probably was.
>
> I joined another birder, Carl, along the road at the property with the
> tall euc along Montecito just north of El Paso where the hawk was being
> seen. This property owner called the police to report us being there. After
> talking to the property owner he stopped to talk with Carl and me. The
> officer was pleasant and said he protected our right to be on the public
> road looking at the hawk. Apparently the property owner is concerned about
> the welfare of the hawk.
>
> As we all know, it only takes one person encroaching on private property
> or otherwise angering an owner to spoil the viewing for all of us.
>
> --
> Jan Nordenberg
> San Diego

Join us on Facebook!