Date: 1/4/18 9:14 am
From: John Romano <birderjuan...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Self Propelled Birding
I was reading a few E-bird Bio's and I saw where a birder in Baton Rouge
was doing a Self-Propelled big year by bicycle and on foot from his home. I
am curious how that turned out.
I have a friend in Madison Wis who only birds by bicycle now. He and I
did an unplanned big day by bicycle in mid-May in Madison Wis about 20
years ago. Independently we had both gone birding on our bikes and ran into
each other in the UW Arboritum around 6:30 AM and birded the day. One good
spot was the sewage treatment ponds about a 10 mile bike ride the from the
Arb. We ended up with 119 species for the day.
Beginning about 5 years ago, the Wisconsion Society of Ornithology
started publishing year totals for Green Birding in addition to the regular
year totals over a certain treshhold.

John Romano
Breaux Bridge/Opelousas
Formerly Madison Wis