Date: 1/4/18 9:14 am
From: 'Stephen Johnson' via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: [ia-bird] eastern blubirds Pella
Beginning on December 6 between 2 and 4 pairs of Bluebirds came to a heated birdbath to drink, typically between 8 and 10.00 am and stayed about 3-5 minutes. I attributed their thirst and interest to drought. They returned almost daily through daytime temperatures reaching 9 Fahrenheit but disappeared when the much colder Temps arrived. I suspected after reading that bluebird staying in their breeding range can be killed by extreme temperatures that these individuals had been killed. But yesterday about 5-7 returned and drank alongside starlings. I have not seen them eat anything. Today while overcast, no bluebirds have shown up.
Stephen Johnson
SE corner of Pella township